Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘senior’

               Article_backpacker-420x0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

The parents of missing German backpacker Jan-Christian Bielenberg arrived from Germany yesterday.

They delivered a heart felt plea to their son at a press conference in Bunbury yesterday morning.

They both were hopeful their son would be found alive and well.

“He is alive … until there is proof of the opposite,” Mr Bielenberg said.

Jan-Christian constantly kept contact with them during his time in Australia.

The last time they spoke to their son was two days before his disappearance.

Senior Sergeant Gardiner said police were still hopeful the young tourist would be found alive and well.

Police ask anyone who may have sighted him or with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

WOODVALE Senior High School will receive $2.2 million of Federal Government funds to build a new covered, four-court basketball facility.

Woodvale principal Paul Leech said the school’s four existing basketball courts would be resurfaced with a synthetic surface and covered with a roof.

“At the moment we only have one small gym, so many of our gym classes have to be held outside the school,” he said.

“At the moment we only have one the funding and thanked them for all their hard work.

WA Senator Louise Pratt said the facility would provide students and community sporting groups with much needed sporting infrastructure.

“This new sporting facility will provide a secure and comfortable sporting venue for players and spectators alike to benefit from,” she said.

Cowan MHR Luke Simpkins said he had been trying to secure the money for some time, and that the funding had taken 18 months too long.

Source : http://wanneroo.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Woodvale-nets-22m-funding/7527284/

Read Full Post »

SOCCEROOS coach Pim Verbeek looks to have secured the services of promising Perth-born Middlesborough defender Rhys Williams.

The youngster turned down Wales to pledge his international future to Australia. pim-verbeek
The 20-year-old, who has a Welsh grandfather, has played 10 times for the Wales under-21 side but is yet to kick a ball for the senior line-up despite being called into the squad several times.

Williams had recently threatened to commit to Wales after being overlooked for the Socceroos but Verbeek, who is in Europe keeping tabs on Australia’s overseas-based players, has convinced the versatile defender to pursue his dream of playing for Australia.

Williams’ fate now lies with FIFA’s transfer committee but if he gets the rubber stamp he could be eligible to be selected for Australia’s World Cup qualifier in Qatar on June 6.

“Rhys has informed us that he wants now to play for Australia,” Wales spokesman Ceri Stennett said of Williams, who can play in central defence or at right back.

“The wheels are now in motion, and a decision will be made by FIFA’s transfer committee.

“But it looks like a fait accompli now.”

Williams, who left Australia at 16 to become a trainee at Middlesborough, made a name for himself this season on loan at promotion-chasing Championship club Burnley.

He impressed in 17 appearances with the club before being forced to return to Middlesborough before the promotion playoffs after failing to have his loan deal extended.

Burnley will face Reading on Wednesday morning (AEST) for a place in the promotion playoff final against Sheffield United.

Williams was not in Middlesbrough’s squad for Tuesday’s 3-1 loss to Newcastle, which consigned them to almost certain relegation, but he could feature in their final two games of the season.

His displays for the Middlesbrough reserves prior to joining Burnley earned him a contract extension with the club until June 2011 and also attracted the attention of Welsh under 21s coach Brian Flynn.

Williams first forced himself into the senior Wales set-up for last September’s qualifier against Azerbaijan but was yet to make his senior debut which, under FIFA regulations, would have meant he could not play for Australia.

His manager Gary Williams said in March the player saw his future with Wales because he had not had contact from anyone else, but hinted he was still interested in playing for Australia.

Wales said they would not be hurried into giving him a cap just to ensure he he was tied to them and, with his 21st birthday looming, Verbeek has now convinced Williams he has a future with the Socceroos.

www.news.com.au


Read Full Post »