Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘found’

WA police believe the body of a man found washed up on a beach near Bunbury is that of German backpacker Jan-Christian Bielenberg who had been missing for more than two weeks.

South West police Detective Senior Sergeant Kylie Whiteley said this afternoon that although the body had not yet been formally identified, it was likely that of 20-year-old Mr Bielenberg.

“At this point we are still attempting to formally identify the male,” Senior Sergeant Whiteley said.

How sad, the rest of this article is on  www.watoday.com.au

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

               Article_backpacker-420x0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

The parents of missing German backpacker Jan-Christian Bielenberg arrived from Germany yesterday.

They delivered a heart felt plea to their son at a press conference in Bunbury yesterday morning.

They both were hopeful their son would be found alive and well.

“He is alive … until there is proof of the opposite,” Mr Bielenberg said.

Jan-Christian constantly kept contact with them during his time in Australia.

The last time they spoke to their son was two days before his disappearance.

Senior Sergeant Gardiner said police were still hopeful the young tourist would be found alive and well.

Police ask anyone who may have sighted him or with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

 

Read Full Post »

Jamie Neale was found alive this morning at about 11.30am by two bush walkers.

After missing for twelve days he is now in hospital where police say he is suffering with exposure and dehydration.

His mother Jean Neale said they never gave up hope looking for their 19 year old son Jamie and she knew he would be coming home one day.

Jean has had a brief conversation with her son and said he sounds tearful and exhausted.

Jamies father was about to return to England when he finally got the good news.

Read Full Post »

A SET of ancient Aboriginal remains found during a clearout of a house in northern England are soon to be returned to Australia.
Workers stumbled across the two femurs, three skulls and an assortment of other bones while sorting through the Cheshire home of university professor John Kempster, a former Aboriginal Rights Association president, after he moved to New Zealand in 2008.

He had instructed auction house Andrew, Hilditch and Son to clear out his home and sell anything they thought valuable.

“After the removalists finished the clear-out they found a small wooden crate and jokingly said to me they were the dog’s bones in there,” auctioneer Tom Andrew said.

“I said ‘Let’s open it and see what’s inside’ and we found three skulls and one or two other pieces.

“I also found in another briefcase two femurs wrapped in newspaper.”

Not realising that Britain had an agreement with Australia to return indigenous remains, the bones and a selection of weapons given to Prof Kempster while he lived in South Australia in the early 1960s were put up for auction in November 2008.

But after about 20 minutes of frantic bidding, the remains were dramatically pulled from sale after the Australian High Commission telephoned to stop the auction.

A scientist was sent to examine the bones, which were confirmed as being of Australian indigenous origin.

They will be handed over on Thursday to two Ngarrindjeri elders who flew from South Australia to London to collect 16 individual remains held by three museums and the auction house.

Mr Andrew said he was happy to know the remains would soon be on their way to the National Museum of Australia, which will try to determine which indigenous community they came from.

“I’ll certainly be on the look out for more,” he said. “I think there are more around than we think.”

The Liverpool museum has two more sets of remains it plans to return to Australia at a later date.

Further south, the Brighton & Hove City Council has agreed to return two skulls and two femurs for further study in Australia.

However, it is still debating whether to give back a skull modified to be used as a water vessel and which has been stored at the museum since 1925.

www.news.com.au

Read Full Post »